Monday, June 22, 2009

Penang, Malaysia

Sunrise in Penang

May 17, 2009

The next stop on the trip was Penang. I really blew it here and have to make changes in the way I approach my time off in the future. I specifically made flight arrangements that allowed me to arrive on Sunday morning so I would have a whole day to look around. I headed downtown to see what it was like and spent 4 or 5 hours wandering around an old area called Georgetown. Penang is an island and a city and the oldest part of the city is Georgetown. There is lots to see, but you kind of have to know what you are looking for. I didn't. So, while I saw some very interesting things, I missed a lot of even better stuff like the Street of Harmony which has a Catholic and Anglican Church, a Mosque, a Buddhist Temple, a Hindu Temple and about 8 or 9 more. I walked down this street, but didn't really get the dynamics of it until I read the pamphlet back at the hotel. Dang! When I got back to the hotel later that afternoon I browsed though the tourist guide in the hotel room and saw all that I had missed. It only took me 5 minutes to realize I could have been better prepared and enjoyed the day even more than I did. Bummer... maybe I'll get to go back some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment